Many client have asked us for plants that repel insects, especially mosquitoes. USA Today recently had a story featuring nine of these so-called wonder plants. Here is the list.
- Lavender (Nicole has this right by the patio and I can’t say it’s preventing any bites.)
- Garlic ( I eat a lot of it, I still get bit, but less than those near me, so that’s something)
- Rosemary (Unfortunately, kids have been bit most standing right next to the herb garden.)
- Basil (See note next to rosemary.)
- Catnip ( I love my Nepeta, but the kids are still bit when by it, but its fun to “scratch and sniff”)
- Mint (Maybe I need to try wearing more of this one, at least it smells great)
So while the plants themselves can help repel you might have to actually be wearing them/ingesting them in high quantities to produce any real benefit, as from what we are finding just having them near doesn’t stop the mosquitoes from finding you. I’d love to hear your remedies for managing these pests and what plants you recommend.